Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Met yesterday with a hired gun headhunter.  They want me to pay them to find me a job.  Predictable criticism of my current job hunt.  And they want a big fee for their service, which seems like a good thing. But hard to say.  In the end, am I happy with the way the search is going?  I think so, not thrilled.  Things seem to be tight.  But okay.  It takes time, and I need to have patience.  And I do.  Let things unfold.  Not sure where it will end up, and that's okay.  So just take it a day at at time and keep looking.  

Two interviews setting up over the next two weeks or so.  One on the agency side in pharma, and one on the client side not in pharma. In a completely different yet exciting company that I've known about for a 10 years.  Great reputation as a cool place to work, and very good to their employees.  But a long way from West Pikeland.  In fact, both jobs might require a move in order not to kill myself with the commute.

But the question remains, agency or client side?  On the agency side, though there are things about it I like, you are always selling.  In a constant mode of what can we do for you next?  Also in a service mode, an external provider, not part of the internal machine.  Maybe this is why I've struck out, had bad luck, on the agency side.  Maybe the constant sales mode is too foreign to me.  I'm not a natural fit for that kind of position.  Whereas on the client side you are being serviced, you are managing vendors, you are put in a position of authority.  This sounds a little simplistic, but I think it's true based on my experience.  I have to look at the record and think about where I have been most content, and what I was doing  in the job at the time.  It comes down to client side.  Am I trying to fit a round peg in a square hole by pursuing agency work?

No comments: