Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Good Interview with Ad Agency

Hello,

Had a good interview yesterday with a HR person from a large advertising agency with a pharma focus.  It went well, especially when I started talking about what I needed and wanted from my next gig.  I do get enthused about it...the fact that I need and want to have a role in the production of content.  I don't need to be the sole editor.  But I want to be more than the Account Manager who comes up with some topics and then hands over the creative process to medical writers, as I was doing in my last gig.  

The job they are trying to fill, and have me in mind for, is an Account Director position working with a large pharma on a heart disease medication.  You know it sounds like a lot of fun.  In fact, I was up late thinking about it.  I believe I would like it, and do well with it and have a ton o fun, as I said.  

My one worry is that this is another Accounts job and my last experience with an Accounts job wasn't so good. It made me push away from this type of job into PR work, or pursuing PR work I should say.

Still, there were lots of things I liked about the last job.  I lurve working with clients.  Yes, they can be difficult.  But I have a good time working the relationship, nurturing it so to speak.  I really enjoy that sort of stuff.  It's a character trait of mine, relationship building.  Of course, this can be taken to extremes, in people pleasing, and not asking the client to pull the trigger.  Or worrying that I might offend them by asking for decisions.  But as long as I'm clear with them about goals, about their goals and what they want to get out of the relationship.  I think I'll do well.  Clarify that up front.  I'm working for you, I'm supporting you.  But I need your honest direction on where you want to go.  Because if you don't know, or can't articulate that, I can't help you.  And I don't want you to feel bad about saying no to me when I recommend something extra, or new or exciting.  This is the way we will come up with the best ideas, by pushing back against each other until we come up with the best possible approach.

Okay, reality check is that this could go nowhere. HR people have been treating me great, especially from Ad Agencies lately (maybe that is where I'm gravitating).  You have a great resume...  But still nothing happens.  The position gets filled and I'm left holding the bag.  So I don't want to get my hopes up but will continue to work it the best I can.

No comments: